I learned an important lesson today.
I lost my luggage. More specifically, I forgot it in a taxi. I put my luggage into the “boot” or “trunk”, for you Americans, of the taxi. And after distracting myself by reading news on my iPhone, I forgot to get my bags.
Now, there are a number of recourses I can take to reclaim my bags. Though, none of them have worked this far.
1. Most taxis are equipped with GPS devices so they can be tracked. It’s a simple matter to call the taxi company and tell them where you came from and where you got dropped off at and approximately what time this transpired, to locate your bags. My taxi was not equipped with GPS though. Darn.
2. All taxis have a unique number. It’s also simple to call the taxi company and have them call the driver. But, I didn’t note the taxi ID number. Bummer.
3. Get a receipt. All receipts have the unique taxi number printed on them. I didn’t get one. Crap.
4. Put your name and address on your bag. You guessed it. Doh!
5. Call the taxi company and have them broadcast a message to all the drivers. Unfortuneately, my driver never responded. Sigh.
Now, thank goodness I didn’t have anything important in my bag. I alway carry my passport, cell phones and other important papers on me personally. I did lose a hat and a concert Tshirt that I really liked. But, it could have been much worse I suppose.
Next time, always ask for a receipt. You never know.